May 15, 2011

Inspired Avocado Pesto

001

I’ve fully accepted the fact that my once-weekly blogging schedule will keep me from posting ideas as I think of them. It will also keep me from coordinating posts with time-sensitive topics (read: I’m currently sitting on a scone recipe I made for the day of the Royal Wedding…and yeah, you’re gonna wait a while longer for that one).

But a number of post ideas have been bumped this week in favor of a delicious, seasonal dinner I had this week, and it is too good not to share. I do not take credit for this being an original idea. It is, rather, a hybrid of two of my favorite bloggers’ recipes. I know and love Angela’s Creamy Avocado Pasta, and when Gena posted her raw Pistachio Pesto recipe, I got a hankering for a gigantic pile of fresh, raw food so strong that I decided to get wacky and marry the two recipe ideas.

So, you see, I call it “inspired” not so much because it was this genius idea of mine, but rather because it was inspired by these ladies’ already awesome recipes.

To be fair to me, though, I think my reaction was something to the effect of “o92nvoiufdsnbvjnw9ejfsiudhfpnvf!!!” when I tasted this variation.

005

Avocado Pesto (raw, vegan, gluten-free)

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • ~1/2 cup each basil and baby spinach (adjust proportions according to your taste, or even add more!)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 avocado
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp salt, plus pepper to taste

003

Directions:

  1. Grind sunflower seeds in a food processor until a bit crumbly, then add basil and spinach and pulse to combine.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until well incorporated.
  3. Taste and adjust salt and pepper accordingly. If too thick, add more oil.
  4. Toss with noodles of choice. I spiralized 1.5 medium zucchinis  and added cherry tomatoes and chopped sundried tomatoes, per Gena’s serving suggestion.

Makes 2 Diana-sized portions. Serves up to 4 normal people.

006

You’re not gonna go wrong, whichever version of this recipe you choose! Just worship at the altar of basil and you’ll enjoy your summer of pesto very much indeed, methinks.

Also, if I may, I’d like to think I have the perfect utensils with which to enjoy such a dish. Behold: the Forkchops.

009

Chopsticks with a fork and knife on the opposite end to deal with those pesky bites that let’sbehonest are not so much bite-sized. Or perhaps not pickuppable by novice chopstick-users? Not that I would know. Winking smile

Basil: love it or hate it? Discuss.

11 comments:

Pure2raw twins said...

love basil!! especially in my smoothies

pesto looks great

Olga @ Healthing It said...

Mmmmm that looks so good! I haven't used my spiralizer in ages, might have to give it a try :)

Unknown said...

definitely seen both of those recipes and wanted to try them, so this seems like the best of both worlds :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you combined these recipes! I love them both...you are genius!

Krista said...

Basil=LOVE IT!
And I'm loving your avocado pesto, as well...:)

Gabriela said...

This looks awesome. I love the addition of avocado for creaminess...I've also used cashews instead of cheese and it works well too!

Averie said...

Ok just left Gena's last post..sunflower pesto and avocado pesto. And you have sunflower avocado pesto.

Lots of pesto, lots of goodness going on!

Anonymous said...

forkchops! love that plan! (also loving the blanket of green on all foods here :))

Heather said...

That recipe looks amazing!!!

Love basil!!! I grow a ton of it every summer!

benefits of chocolate said...

benefits of chocolate
This is a top blog over here. I think I’ll visit your website more if you post more of this kind of specific information. Many thanks for posting this information.

Thủ thuật smartphone said...

Thuốc tăng chiều cao có tác dụng nhanh chóng và hiệu quả trong việc cải thiện vóc dáng cơ thể. Nếu như bạn chưa biết rõ về các loại thuốc tăng chiều cao thì bạn có thể tham khảo thêm chi tiết về sản phẩm tại TV BUY