June 17, 2008

Non-Nasty Egg Salad


I'm not sure about you, but for me, there is something super gnarly about the thought and sight of egg salad. I mean, this is the kind of stuff you get made fun of for having in your lunch box. Plus it's stinky.

Last night, I decided to invent a non-revolting version. The criteria:
  • Must not contain mayonnaise
  • Must not be yellow
  • Must not smell like the by-product of whatever you ate last night

Shockingly, what I came up with was a success. Try my recipe and see if you too are non-grossed out.

Ingredients (one serving):

2 hard boiled egg whites

2 tbsp hummus (I used Trader Joe's kalamata olive hummus)

5 kalamata olives, quartered

lemon juice

ground pepper

2 slices of your favorite whole wheat bread


Directions:

  1. Slice open the hard boiled eggs and pop out the yolks. Discard the yolks.
  2. Dice the egg whites and place in a small bowl.
  3. Add the hummus and quartered olives. Stir to mix.
  4. Squirt in some lemon juice - as much as you like, but not so much that the salad gets runny.
  5. Shake on ground pepper to taste. Stir again.
  6. Top each slice of bread with half of the mixture.
  7. Nom nom nom nom nom...

If I knew more about herbs and whatnot, I might suggest some fresh dill or cilantro, but considering it didn't occur to me at the time of concocting this recipe, I can't vouch for the results. However, I do strongly recommend the use of whole wheat bread - I used Trader Joe's low calorie whole wheat, and it has a distinctive kind of nutty taste, which went really well with the egg salad. If I hadn't been at work when I ate it, I probably would have toasted the bread first to add some crunch.

Enjoy the non-nastitude!

0 comments: