January 16, 2011

The Big Reveal

There are a few things (ok, a lot of things) I’ve kept under my hat where this blog is concerned. Nothing sketchy, I assure you, nor anything that would prove compromising to my life, or anyone else’s, for that matter. In fact, there are a great many things I’ve let fly via Twitter and Facebook that I’ve never alluded to here, so what I’m about to tell you might not even be a surprise. I guess it’s just that whatever I write on the blog tends to feel very official and recorded for all time, so I like to be good and sure about its content before I publish it.

While I’m not yet at the point where I envisioned writing a post such as this one, I think its time has come nonetheless, seeing as I was hired as a group fitness instructor this week.

I grew up a dancer. Not so much in an artistic sense as there being something that compelled me to move to music. Indeed, I wouldn’t call myself a great performer or anything. For this reason, I didn’t pursue dance beyond the point where it was easy to participate in dance-related activities, such as it was in college, where I shook pom-poms with the Dance Team at football games and shook my hiney with Synergy Hip Hop Dance Company.

I always assumed I’d have a “normal job” after graduating and that exercising on my own would be enough to fulfill my craving for dance. I did get a normal job. I still have it. The crave, however, remains unsatisfied.

Until now, that is. In the past few months I’ve been seeking to fill the void. I’m now an AFAA certified personal trainer and a Zumba instructor. Next month I will test for certification as a group exercise instructor.

I actually have no immediate plans to train private clients (unless you, er, wanna call me). I went through the personal training certification process in order to educate myself in depth on anatomy and kinesiology. It worked! But what really changed everything was Zumba.

018

(Me with Tanya Beardsley, Zumba guru and star of the Zumba DVDs)

To be openly cheesy about it, no other exercise format has spoken to my own musical and dansical (made up word—I’m keeping it) inclinations like Zumba. It comes naturally to me and makes me happy and I’m pretty sure I’m meant to be sharing it with other people, so perhaps it is fitting that I was hired within 48 hours of completing my certification. The universe has wasted no time in showing me the path to putting all this in action, so I’m happy to “ease on down the road!” [Insert funkadelic soundtrack.]

I’m so excited to add group fitness teaching to my life! For any interested New Yorkers, I’m happy to share my teaching schedule (which begins February 1). I’m teaching Zumba, cardio sculpt and a boot camp. I’m also happy to kick your ass. With love, of course. With love.

In the meantime, I’ve got lots of groovy tunes to choreograph into my Zumba routine, so between that and some judgmental Golden Globe-watching, I’ve got this evening’s work cut out for me. Winking smile

Before I go, allow me to direct you back to my last post, in which I published a rice cooker recipe and on which every single comment (except for one! Edited to add: TWO! Excellent!) referred to the commenter’s love for slow cookers rather than rice cookers. It is entirely understandable that not everyone knows that the two are different appliances, in which case some may be in for a surprise when they try the recipe in a slow cooker, but I don’t think that was the case here. My point is that I have been cracking up all week at the consistent comment references to slow cookers, despite my frantic interjections. If you’re in the mood for a laugh, I suggest you read through the comments—don’t worry, there aren’t many. Smile

Cheers!

18 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

YAY!!!!!! So exciting!

Dominique said...

Congrats Diana!

All those comments about the rice cooker risotto are hilarious. I remember reading that post thinking "mmm, sounds delicious and I have a rice cooker, I'll have to get on that stat" since I don't have a slow cooker and a lot of bloggie's posts have involved slow cookers lately. Clearly, capital letters in the title should have been involved, hahaha.

Erica said...

CONGRATS! You know I'm super happy for you. Teaching group fitness classes is so fabulous. It has changed my life. And I'm with you on the posting things on the blog totally makes them official ;)

emily said...

Yay! This post totally gave me chills, it seems like you are definitely headed the right direction in your life :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Congrats, Diana!!!!

I am sooo happy for you!!! This is awesome, you're gonna be great at it,and i feel like ive been watching this unfold for the nearly 2 yrs ive been reading your blog...watching you find your path, and it seems, you now really have :)

xoxo

Pure2raw twins said...

Congrats!! I remember seeing your tweets. :) Have fun dancing away girl!!!

Unknown said...

crap, that was totally me. i probably noticed the comments and it happenned subliminally. yeah. that.

CONGRATS and how awesome, glad you have found zumba :)

sophia said...

So this is the big reveal!!!! I am SOOO thrilled for you, Diana!!! The healthy, happy, flushed look on your face in that picture says it all.

Congrats, and I know you'll rock it!!! :D

Mama Pea said...

I never would have pegged you for a Zumba gal! I love that you have surprises up your sleeve. And a really great Crock Pot.

Gabriela said...

I remember talking to you about this in November- and all I can say is YAY, I'm so happy for you!! I am terrible at Zumba, but I really want to come to one of the other two classes so please let us know when you'll be rocking!!

melissa (fitnessnyc) said...

huge huge congrats! I would love to know your schedule!

Katie said...

I am so, so excited for you!!! You're going to be such an awesome teacher, and I can't wait to take a class from you. I've never taken one before and I am SO awkward with my body, but I can't wait!

PS I have that Lulu tank and LOVE IT! I got it on sale but I want more!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Congratulations!I think being able to teach fitness is awesome. So glad I found your blog.

leslie said...

congrats, diana! it always makes me smile to see people going after their passions like this. i think it's wonderful that you've found an outlet that will fulfill you more and that you have the desire to share it with other people.

ps: this new yorker is totally interested in your teaching schedule. i've never tried zumba, and while i am uncoordinated, i am always willing to try new things. :)

Caronae said...

Haha, just read the rice cooker comments and they were a good laugh.

I would TOTALLY take any of your classes. MY gym us just my school gym, which isn't that exciting. I'm in a budget, sadly. But if you're doing any sort of demo classes or whatever I would LOVE to do it. I actually just wrote a post about dancing....weird. There's just something about music and movement and rhythm that is irresistible.

Congrats!

Lisa said...

Sounds like you're on a great path! How exciting for you :)

I still have yet to try zumba, but I keep reading about it and can see I will not be able to put it off for much longer!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

Yay, it's happening!!!!! So excited for you. I wish I lived in NY, I would have loved getting my ass kicked by you, with love of course ;)

Gena said...

Words cannot capture my pride.

SO THRILLED for you, my friend!