January 23, 2011

Mocha Brownie Cupcakes

014

I know. This post’s title basically gets better with every word. That’s why I’m not going to mess around with lots of flowery lead-in today, except to say THANK YOU for your support of my “big reveal.” I start teaching next week and will post my schedule next weekend for any interested NYC locals.

And now, let’s get to the down and the dirty of these here cupcakes, because that’s the only way to treat ‘em: fast forward to the O-face.

011

Mocha Brownie Cupcakes (with gluten-free option)

Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Brownie Cupcakes

Ingredients:

  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour (or 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose GF baking mix + 3/4 tsp xanthan gum)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 4 tsp instant coffee
  • nonstick cooking spray
  • white chocolate chips for topping, if desired

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners, spray generously with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate. Stir until smooth. Add instant coffee granules and stir again til smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add flour (and xanthan gum if making gluten-free), cocoa and baking soda. Stir in melted chocolate mixture until combined.
  4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter and top with white chocolate chips, if using. Bake until a firm crust forms on the cupcakes, 20-25 minutes (23 for me). Remove to a wire rack to cool, about 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and continue to cool on wire rack.

Makes 12 cupcakes

015

The inspiration for these cupcakes was an office birthday. Several of my coworkers have Celiac disease, so the treat criteria included gluten-free, chocolate, resembles birthday cake and is easily portioned into single servings. Oh and also, doesn’t require Diana to buy any new ingredients.

Ta-da.

017

They turned out way better than I deserved, but then again, Martha doesn’t often do us wrong, does she? They really did have the taste and texture of brownies that you’d bake in a flat pan. Thank you, Ms. Stewart, for providing me with an idea for a seriously easy birthday treat (I didn’t even have to bust out the mixer!). And I hope your face feels better.

And for you, brownie or cupcake? Or both? Neither? Hybrid?

8 comments:

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

They look amazing, Diana!

And GF, even better :)

Pure2raw Twins said...

LOOKS delicious. Love coffee and chocolate YUM I love cupcakes! Though having a since brownie is good too, combining the two is great too haha

Mama Pea said...

Gah, poor Martha! How did I miss that? I'm surprised she didn't give herself her own whipstitch :)

Unknown said...

ooh, fantastic! i think you deserve the bestest there is :)

sophia said...

I'll take "brownie" only as a topping to ice-cream, and I'll take cupcakes only if it's something fantastic like maple-bacon-cheddar. ;-)

That said, I'll take your wonderful hybrid anytime!

Krista said...

I'd have to say brownie, but a brownie cupcake sounds pretty much perfect!!

Diana [VEGeneration] said...

I'm a brownie person. I love dense and intense chocolate-y brownies! I think your brownie cupcakes will make me like cupcakes more :)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) said...

These sound amazing!! Brownies are my favorite dessert so it's no surprise.
Btw, I'm hosting a giveaway for a healthy cookbook - check it out if you haven't already.