April 3, 2011

Homemade DQ Blizzard

This weekend I had an encounter with the holiest of marriages in my personal food Bible: pizza and ice cream.

002

Such encounters are not necessarily infrequent…but they are to be celebrated nonetheless—something I do too little of on the blog.

The pizza of choice this time was a small Bel Paese on whole wheat crust from Monty Q’s. Toppings include fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, fresh plum tomato sauce and pesto.

001

I know, it’s like it couldn’t possibly exist outside of your wildest dreams, right? Trust me, in New York City, it can. Winking smile

Sorry for the hole in the picture—a bite flew into my mouth before I could even reach for the camera. New York pizza, like New Yorkers themselves, can get a little pushy at times.

004

For dessert, however, I thought I’d try a semi-homemade recreation of one of my favorite ice cream treats: Dairy Queen’s Blizzard. Sadly, there appear to be no Dairy Queens in the five boroughs (or at least the two that I travel between daily…), so I decided to put some faith in my own blender and give it a whirl myself. (<— Sad pun.)

007

I found some new-to-me ice cream, which seemed too good to be true at 150 calories per pint (my “FRANKENFOOD!” alarm instantly went off upon spotting it), but after a scan of the ingredients,

009

I found nothing I didn’t recognize, so I figured why not? The flavor appealed to me very much.

008

And at first taste, I was quite pleasantly surprised! I mean, no, this is no substitute for real ice cream, but in a Tasti D-Lite kind of way, Arctic Zero is totally acceptable.

Still, at only 150 calories for the WHOLE PINT, I felt like it was challenging me to make it more decadent.

So I did.

010

Homemade Blizzard

Ingredients:

  • 1 pint ice cream, softened at room temperature for
    10-15 minutes (I used Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple)
  • 4 oz milk (more or less, depending on how thick you like your Blizzard. I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk)
  • 1/2 cup mix-ins (or more! I used TJ’s Maple Pecan granola)
  • Additional toppings, if desired (I added a Sutter’s Formula Soft Molasses cookie from TJ’s [unreal!])

012

Directions:

  1. Combine ice cream and milk in a blender and blend smooth.
  2. Add mix-ins and pulse once or twice to incorporate.
  3. Serve and add any additional toppings.

Serves 1 Diana or up to 4 normal people

014

My Blizzard itch has most definitely been scratched. [Contented sigh]

What two foods go together like pizza and ice cream for you?

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

OOOOH lovin' the homemade Blizzard.

2 foods that go together = cereal & hempmilk :D

Anonymous said...

hi! I'm new to your blog and you had me laughing out loud! also....YUM to pizza and milkshakes!!! I live in New Zealand and a the pizza here is a sad excuse for the stuff in the US. i'm jealousss

MJC said...

Blizzard looks delicious! I have to try this some time!

Mama Pea said...

I now so badly want a gingersnap. And pesto. Can you make a Blizzard out of that?

Sophia Lee said...

Oh wow. The holy matrimony of food indeed.

Another great marriage is McD french fries + soft serve!!

Unknown said...

i can't decide which i like better, the pizza or the blizzard... fabulous. just like you ;) where did you find the artic zero??

Justine said...

Oh man, that Blizzard looks SO good! What a great idea! I'm going to make one tonight with So Delicious coconut milk and coconut milk ice cream! Look out!

Diana said...

@Mama Pea - You could...so long as you shout "APRIL FOOL'S!" upon serving.

@Shannon - I found Arctic Zero at Whole Foods! They only had like 2 flavors though...hope Beantown has better selection.

@Justine - You betcha I'm lookin out!!

Anonymous said...

Looks so good! I love arctic zero but haven't ever made a shake with it.

Krista said...

I'd have to go with pizza and Coke, although it's been a very long time since I've indulged in the 2 together.

BTW, that pizza looks out of this world good.....

Anonymous said...

I'm re-titling your post "Homemade everything awesome" that looks so wonderful!
Katherine